Call Now
Child Support

Child Support Lawyer Committed to Your Financial Needs

Helping families in and around Hackensack, Paramus and Ridgewood with Child Support

Child support is not supplemental alimony or payment for visitation privileges. It is the right of your child to be supported by his or her parents. Each parent has a legal obligation to provide financial support for their children.

At Rita T. Jerejian, LLC, we passionately fight to get you the maximum amount of support the court allows.

Calculating the appropriate payments for your family

The New Jersey Supreme Court has adopted the use of the Support Guidelines to calculate the amount of support to be paid by the noncustodial parent. Various factors are looked at by the judge when deciding the total cost of support payments. These factors include:

  • Compensation for services
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Disability compensation
  • Workers’ compensation
  • Inheritance
  • Endowments and life insurance
  • Annuity or interests in trusts
  • Net gambling winnings
  • Bonuses and royalties
  • Overtime, part-time or severance pay
  • Profit-sharing claim
  • Unreported cash payments
  • Private retirement plans and government distribution, i.e. Social Security and Veterans Administration
  • Property gains

Your children deserve to receive proper income to help them with everyday life. We have a strong record of success using objective metrics to advocate for the best interests of your children.

How do child support modifications work?

Child support modification simply means a change in support. If you have been ordered to pay child support, you may be entitled to a modification due to a change in your financial circumstances.

In the state of New Jersey, the “obligor” is the person who pays support, and the “obligee” is the person receiving child support.

Either the obligee or obligor is allowed to request a modification. However, you must prove to the judge that your financial circumstances have changed drastically and permanently in order for the motion to be accepted. A modification can be requested if any of the following has changed:

  • Standard of living and economic status of parents
  • Needs of the child
  • Educational needs of the child, including higher education
  • Sources of income of parents and any assets they may obtain
  • Earning ability of each parent:
    • employment history
    • educational training
    • cost of day care
    • time and training expense to pursue a higher income

Sometimes when money must change hands, there can be strenuous objections on both sides. As a Bergen County divorce lawyer for more than 25 years, Rita T. Jerejian works hard to ensure you have the financial evidence you need to receive a child support modification.

We also defend against the manipulation or use of child support as leverage to extract concessions on separate and unrelated issues.

What if I believe my child should be emancipated?

Under New Jersey law, there is no set age at which a child is declared emancipated. Usually, the parties will sign an agreement which determines when the child will be emancipated.

In the absence of such an agreement, New Jersey state law suggests the courts will examine the financial dependence of the child on the parents.

Many different factors can determine if your child is emancipated. You can request to cease support payments if your child:

  • joins the armed forces
  • gets married
  • graduated college

If your spouse contests the emancipation, you will need an attorney to help support your claim.

At our firm, we are experienced in emancipation and child support litigation. We work hard to help build a strong case to present to the judge.

Contact a North Jersey child support attorney today

Rita T. Jerejian, LLC will work hard to get you the most out of your support claim. To schedule an appointment at our Hackensack, New Jersey office, call 201.489.7714 or contact us online.